The Goddess
Okay, I'm not really a goddess. I'm just a 20 year old college student and a bright blue dot in a red state. I'm currently trying to find ways to live greener and generally decrease my impact on the planet, and that's what this blog is all about. And maybe just a little bit of humor.

Archive

Links
A Home in the City
Alex -- Road to Freedom
Apoplectic Press
Crunchy Chicken
Confessions of a Closet Environmentalist
Happy Hippie
Jolly Green Girl's Confidential
Kentucky Hollers
More Deliberate Every Day
Natural Living
No Impact Man
Turtleheart Cove

Extras

Environment Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

website metrics
May 22, 2007

The votes are in.

Today was the Kentucky primary election, and two things were iffy about it. First, whether or not I would have a ride to the polls. Two, whether or not my (second) choice for governor would get the Democratic nomination.

I did find a ride to the polls, but it wasn't easy. First, we went to the wrong place. Who knew a town of 1,000 needed two polling places? Combine that embarassment with the women working there commenting on how young I look, and I ended up looking rather foolish. When I made to the right location, they were just happy to see anyone who wanted to vote. Apparently I live in the apathetic part of town.

I'll admit that I didn't know anything about the last two categories that I had to vote for, and ended up picking the guy with the name I liked best. I researched candidates online as best I could, and my choices won in two of the three categories I was able to make an informed decision in. It really bothers me that I had to take a guess on Attorney General and Agriculture Comissioner, as I can see those are two very important jobs.

As for the governor's race, I was dissapointed to learn that my top choice (Jonathan Miller) had left the race. I knew he was a longshot, but he shared my concerns about education and the environment more than any other candidate. In the end, I chose to vote for the second most progressive guy running, Steve Beshear. Okay, maybe the guy who wants to legalize pot is the most progressive of them all, but he was more of a longshot than Miller. I might as well have voted for Ralph Nader.

Still, I'll cast my vote for the winning Democrats. I've always said that I'll vote for the best man or woman nominated, reguardless of party. It just so happens that in my two years of voting, the best man hasn't been a Republican. I don't expect the next election to be any different.

Labels: , , , , ,

Granola Goddess @ 10:12 PM