The Goddess
Okay, I'm not really a goddess. I'm just a 20 year old college student and a bright blue dot in a red state. I'm currently trying to find ways to live greener and generally decrease my impact on the planet, and that's what this blog is all about. And maybe just a little bit of humor.

Archive

Links
A Home in the City
Alex -- Road to Freedom
Apoplectic Press
Crunchy Chicken
Confessions of a Closet Environmentalist
Happy Hippie
Jolly Green Girl's Confidential
Kentucky Hollers
More Deliberate Every Day
Natural Living
No Impact Man
Turtleheart Cove

Extras

Environment Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

website metrics
May 21, 2007

Some local news.

I haven't bought a newspaper in about two years. I miss keeping up on the news "at home" while I'm at school or at my mom's house. It's hard to define which place is home and I usually don't have the time to bother with a newspaper -- and probably won't buy one anyway, to save the paper.

So I've just now read two articles from last Friday on my local newspaper's website and I must say I'm proud of both of them. First, Religious leaders oppose strip mining. The article tries to show all sides of the issue, but I don't think they accurately addressed the anti-Mountaintop Removal position well enough. Still, the other article may make up for that. Pike County just recieved funding to start a coal-to-liquid plant. Some quick research tells me that coal can be turned into a liquid fuel that may be more environmentally friendly than oil and would decrease our dependence on oil from the Middle East. The plant would also provide quite a few jobs to an area that's losing lots of jobs to an increasingly automated mining industry. I'll wait until the project actually gets off the ground to make up my mind about it.

To wrap up this entry, here's the second installment of my 101 things list. Thinking of this many seperate things is more difficult than I had expected.

17. Stop using bleach and find a better alternative.
18. Convince my dad to switch to CFL light bulbs.
19. Get the Young Democrats club re-started at my college.
20. Volunteer with the Children's Art Program that my friend Steve runs.
21. Finish typing up my giant herb encyclopedia.
22. Use the new gym at school at least three times a week.
23. Check out the local flea market, especially the pagan shop.
24. Take an honors English/Literature class.
25. Finish at least one of my scrapbooks.
26. Find the perfect hummus recipe.
27. Take advantage of the on-campus counseling center.
28. Clean up my computer -- ie. getting rid of viruses, worms, and spyware.
29. Make sure that I drink at least 8 cups of water a day.
30. Try to get accepted into the Education program next year.
31. Ride my bicycle to class more often than I drive my car to class.
32. Try to make this blog popular.
33. Avoid drinking soda at all times.

Labels: , , ,

Granola Goddess @ 4:43 PM